What is it about January?


I have always hated January; that post Christmas anti-climax when the next thing you have to look forward to is birdsong and daffodils. The grass is frost-tipped each morning, or it rains, then there's the wind that cuts to the bone, short grey days and long evenings, all of which I see as perfect conditions to line up my research books, computer and endless of supply of coffee and settle down to write.

But it doesn't make sense - I am at my most productive when warm and toasty inside with a manuscript that needs work. The reality is I spend the first hour on catching up with my critique group, answering e-mails and monitoring my Twitter feed, make my third cup of coffee of the morning and open my manuscript - keen to get to work.

What happens? I spend the next few hours tweaking dialogue, deleting scenes and putting them back again. I re-write my scene summaries to fit the new structure that occurred to me sometime at 2.00am the night before, then introduce something random that requires re-jigging of the story line as I decide the original story isn't dramatic enough.

Plot, plan, schedule - but not write.

After deleting the same rejigged sentence a few times, I go back to social media and mess about hoping something will come to me - it doesn't.  A day or so of this unproductive twiddling I can take - even a week can be regarded as a natural marinating period for new ideas to mature -  but a whole month?

I shall have to write it off as a failure - not the manuscript, the month.  Maybe I shouldn't even try and write until February - but then I'll spend January worrying.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Comments

Petrea Burchard said…
My month has been exactly the same! It's frustrating. I've finally given in.

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.