Sunday, 14 October 2012

Henrietta or Elizabeth?

My publisher has asked me about my next book and what I had in the pipeline - a question I have been turning over carefully. After a little trial and error, I have found my niche as a biographical historical author as opposed to a romantic historical fiction writer, so I went searching for a suitable real-life heroine.

Then I read author  Laura Purcell's,  blog, where she says her latest novel is based on the lives of Henrietta Howard and Caroline of Ansbach. My stomach did a tiny lurch as the heroine I had settled upon is - Henrietta Howard.

This made me think about eras, and which one our spirit occupies - and thus far mine has lived squarely in the 17th Century. Georgian England isn't familiar territory for me, although a novel about an abused wife and George II's Asperger's Syndrome could be quite a challenge.

According to her blog, Laura is totally immersed in the life and times of the Hanoverians, especially the second George and his court, so maybe I need to find another 17th Century figure to write about - someone who lived after the Restoration perhaps. 

Then again, my novel about Elizabeth Murray finishes when she is twenty seven and she died at seventy-two, thus all her more important adventures have yet to be recounted. She was after all a spy for The Sealed Knot - so just maybe......

And in the interests of promoting our author friends, Laura has written a novel about George III, called God Save The King which looks amazing. Definitely one to add to my list.

1 comment:

Petrea Burchard said...

A historical spy novel! Not a bad idea at all.

BLOG TOUR

..for A Knightsbridge Scandal all this week The Writing Garnet Chick Lit Club Connect I Heart Reading Bookish Jottings ...