Friday, 14 September 2012

Switching Centuries

With the edits for my 17th Century novel almost done, I am now turning my thoughts to the 18th Century. I have found my heroine amongst the bewigged and powdered ladies of the Royal Court, what I need to do now is immerse myself in her era so I know how she and her contemporaries dressed, talked about, and how they conducted their daily lives in the London of the early 1700's. 

I have been in the 17th century so long in my head, I thought this may be a hard transition to make, but already I am halfway through Lucy Worsley's 'Courtiers' and I am beginning to see  it. And what a tedious and repetitive life the court ladies lived! And who knew that King George II exhibited signs of Asperger's Syndrome - fascinating.  I have also found some lovely blogs with lashings of useful information too, such as 'Georgian Junkie' written by Emery Lee and Lucinda Brant. Then there is The Duchess of Devonshire's Gossip Guide.  If anyone can recommend any others I would welcome the URL's.  I need all the help I can get with my research, but I am enjoying browsing through bookshops in search of suitable reference books.

I love this part of the writing process.

4 comments:

Lisa Yarde said...

I've always said you have a 17th century soul, Anita, but truthfully, whatever you write takes me away to that moment in time or setting. Good luck with the new project.

Anita Davison said...

Thanks Lisa, and I hope you don't take this wrong but you have a Medieval Soul that almost makes me believe in reincarnation

Jen Black said...

Oh dear, I can't decide what sort of soul I have! But I'm thinking about it,
Jen

Petrea Burchard said...

Anita, I don't know what century your soul lives in but you have a gift for description so whatever century you choose to describe is fine with me. And yes, the research is delightful fun. I can't wait to get started on that again.

BLOG TOUR

..for A Knightsbridge Scandal all this week The Writing Garnet Chick Lit Club Connect I Heart Reading Bookish Jottings ...