Sunday, 26 February 2012

Do You Feel Fury or Pity?

This weekend, someone posted to an author group about a writer - and I use the term loosely - who's published work was not their own.

This author was 'outed' in the, 'Dear Author', and 'Smart Bitches Trashy Books' blog, and although I avidly read everything that appeared, I was left saddened by this rather than angry - but then I wasn't one of the authors being plagiarised, so maybe I'm not the one entitled to react with outrage.

Although the book and all references to this woman have been removed from the publisher's website and their groups, I cannot imagine how the publisher must feel being duped like this when they evidently released the novel in good faith.

I can see that this is could be the downside of self publishing - it's easier to steal someone else's graft if you can do so with the click of a mouse, but this woman used a publisher - thus compounding her crime and making them culpable.

On the release of my own novels, my initial euphoria at having a book published  and 'out there' for anyone to see, is combined with a gut-wrenching dread that the reviews will be awful, the story trashed, and a damning comment on a blog - any blog that asks 'Why does this person think she can write?' 

Surely any thrill this woman experienced on 'release day', when all the congratulations come flooding in, would be tempered by the inevitability that someone would find her out eventually. She must spend every day waiting for the other shoe to drop!

I simply don't understand her reasoning, and my primary emotion is of an overwhelming sadness for her.

7 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

You're gorgeous to stress over the stress of other people when they do something wrong! Truth is some people go along thinking they are in the right no matter what they do. The 'author' is probably just mad now that it was taken down.
Wagging Tales

Anne Gallagher said...

I saw this too, and was stunned. Not only at the "author's" audacity to plagirize, but to actually take money for it. I mean, we've all heard of plagirizing in college to try and get an A on a paper, but to do so with the thought of making money, of taking someone else's hard earned living...it's too outrageous for me to even comprehend.

It is sad. Very sad. And unfortunately it just shows that scam artists are everywhere.

Lisa Yarde said...

I read about this on DA as well, and it's sad / infuriating that some resort to taking the work of others as their own. I've heard this practice occurs often in academia as well.

Jen Black said...

At least one of the books she put up for free, so I'm not sure she made much money. Seems a lot of hard work re-formatting, changing names, etc, for very little reward to me. Puzzling all round, since she didn't try to wriggle out of it.
Jen

Morgan Mandel said...

You are a kind person! Anyone who does such a thing deserves to be found out and banned.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Talli Roland said...

It's a tough one. What she did was wrong, but I hate how the internet lets everyone pile on top of someone and kick them when they're down... (not that I'm saying that's what happened, but it could have happened).

Maggi Andersen said...

In a word, money, Anita. The industry is rife with inventive people using new methods to rip off authors.

Cover Reveal

Aria Fiction have designed a beautiful new cover for the fourth book in the  Flora Maguire Mysteries. This new adventure takes Flor...