Monday, 12 September 2011

Reading Manuscripts Aloud

PhotobucketThe lovely lady who is recording my novel Trencarrow Secret for the audio book version e-mailed me with some minor discrepancies she found in the manuscript.

After receiving one mediocre review of this book, I was further depressed to think I had missed these points, but fortunately I have a wonderful publisher who has agreed to pull off the Kindle edition and make the relevant changes for me.
'I hope you don't mind if the novel becomes unavailable for a day or two?' she said.
Mind? I'm ecstatic, there will now be fewer chances of readers spotting my blunders!

I thanked my audio book lady for her excellent editing, but couldn't help commenting that my confidence had been dented; this was her response:

I think the brain often sees what it expects to see, not what is actually there. One probably only really notices some of these things when one reads them aloud. If you don't think you can write, you should have seen me weep in the scene with Marie and David. I got really rather attached to the characters, and needed copious supplies of tissues during the last few chapters. My proof-listener has fallen in love with Henry.

What greater compliment could an author receive than they made their reader cry, and I think she is right, I must read my manuscripts aloud in future to help bring those glaring faults to light.

2 comments:

Maggi Anderson said...

How great that their willing to do that, Anita. I have a little tape recorder I use sometimes. Amazing what I pick up when I play it back.

Alison Stuart said...

I heartily endorse that advice, Anita! It is often the key piece of advice I give to contest entrants. If only they had read their entry aloud, they would have a much better manuscript.

PS What mediocre review? I've only seen good ones and I'm reading it myself at the moment!

Cover Reveal

Aria Fiction have designed a beautiful new cover for the fourth book in the  Flora Maguire Mysteries. This new adventure takes Flor...