Dawn French's Debut Novel

A Tiny Bit Marvellous by Dawn French


As a big fan of Dawn French, I wanted to see if her writing was as good as her performances, and in many ways I wasn't disappointed. The story follows certain events in the lives of Mo, who is about to turn 50 and hovering on the edges of an extra-marital affair with a younger man, her husband whose inner we see little of as, well he's just 'Dad, then there is Dora, a foul mouthed, self obsessed seventeen-going-on-thirty-year-old and her divinely camp-over-the-top brother with a kind heart and an obviously damaged psyche who rechristens himself Oscar.[After Mr Wilde]

Dora is a nightmare daughter who truly believes she knows everything, hates and abuses everyone and leaves obscene messages on her mother's phone. Mo laughingly ignores these, passing Dora's atrocious behaviour off as a passing teenage phase, because after all, Mo is a psychologist and no one can tell HER how the young mind works!! Mo is heading towards a mid-life crisis, althogh from what I can see she actually does have a life. She's also self-obsessed and instead of attending Dora's eighteenth birthday party, she takes off to a hotel to meet her would-be lover - who fortuitously doesn't turn up.

The shortcut, text-speak, repetitive swearing language style gets a bit wearing after a while and more than once I found myself wanting to clip Dora round the ear and tell her to stop being such a cow, shake Mo for being totally unaware of what her family was going through and instead, fixating on a hopeless romance. As for allowing 'Oscar' to wear a smoking jacket at 16, which may be PC in this day and age but won't somebody talk to the boy for goodness sake??

View all my reviews

Comments

Talli Roland said…
I like Dawn French too but I had such a negative experience with Peter McKay's autobiography that I'm not sure I can read a comedian again!

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.