Sunday, 27 March 2011

Edits Are Done - Well Almost

My lovely editor Karen McGrath at Muse sent me my first round of edits for Trencarrow Secret a couple of weeks ago, and for the first hour I was too nervous to open the file. I anticipated large tracts of my narrative with strike throughs and the words 'rephrase', 'explain' 'omit' all over the place.

'Why,' I can hear you ask, 'if you imagined all that, did you submit an incomplete manuscript in the first place?'
Well, I didn't, this novel has been through two critique groups, but give me an author who truly believes his/her manuscript cannot be improved by some hard editing, I will be very surprised.

I am a perpetual tweaker - in that I can always think of another way to say something. Not necessarily better, or more eloquent, but different - thus I create work for myself which may, or may not improve the final novel.

My second round of edits arrived last week, and the comments were so brief and intermittent, removing a word here and replacing one there, I took no more than a weekend to make the changes she suggested. OK I'm being smug, but that doesn't mean I expect this release to sell thousands, merely that my confidence as a writer is growing- Yes, Lisa I can hear you muttering, 'Finally!'

Now I had better get on with planning my blog tour and getting some reviews. And I want to wish Karen all the best as she hasn't been well lately, but she stuck with my manuscript, working through it like a real trooper.

3 comments:

Lisa Yarde said...

Well, I wasn't going to say anything but...thank Jesus! Can't wait to see it in print.

Anita Davison said...

Oh yes you were...........

Diane Scott Lewis said...

Anita, this was previously, The Maze, and is a beautiful story, written in your beautiful style.
Congratulations on getting it out there.

BLOG TOUR

..for A Knightsbridge Scandal all this week The Writing Garnet Chick Lit Club Connect I Heart Reading Bookish Jottings ...