Review of Trencarrow Secret

My first review of my upcoming novel, 'Trencarrow Secret' was posted on the Bookbabes Blog today:  It's a little early as the novel isn't scheduled for publication until June, but still.

I have been honored with a sneak read of Anita Davison's upcoming novel, scheduled for June 2011 release, Trencarrow Secret.  I have never read any of her previous work, so I took a chance when I accepted a pdf file from the author.... and... I liked it!

I want to share this book with everyone and I realize it's awful early, but this way you can add it to your TBRs and wishlists and possibly closer to its release date, preorder it if you want.

Trencarrow Secret is a Victorian novel about family relationships, growing up, and marriage.  Isabel is a young woman vacationing with her family for the summer.  She discovers her father in a questionable situation with her ailing mother's nurse.  This brings up numerous questions for Isabel.  She discovers her parents had a marriage on convenience.  Is she willing to marry Jared (which is expected of her) for the same reason or does she wish to find love?  Should she find love, will she have the courage to pursue it?  And can she forgive her father for betraying her mother?

The story rarely leaves the summer household, but rather than feeling confined, I was intrigued by the family and their scandals, personalities, and witty remarks at the dinner table.  Jared is a pompous arse and has something up his sleeve.  Laura is infatuated with a young man and means to have him by any means necessary.  Aunt Margot is just Aunt Margot and she made me laugh.  Amelia is battling her love for a married man.  Ashton is feeling guilty about Amelia.  Evaline is frothing at the mouth for Henry who really desires Isabel.  And Isabel.. is too blind to see it.  There is much miscommunication and minunderstandings fly left and right.

Very slowly, however, Isabel grows up.  She begins to come to the conclusion, "marriage isn't about weddings and announcements in the papers."  The question is:  what is she going to do about it?  Jared thinks they are to wed and she thinks Henry wants Evaline.  Can all the misunderstandings be corrected before she makes a dour mistake?

Favorite quote:  When Henry is speaking to Isabel about her fears (she is terrified of both water and a maze) he says, "You aren't the only one who has demons to fight.  The mistake we often make is to believe we have to battle them alone."

Great book and I was thoroughly entertained.  I prefer a stronger heroine so it doesn't quite hit the five star mark for me but I do recommend it.  There's quite a surprise at the end, but I am not going to reveal it...

Again, this is scheduled for June 2011 release coming from MuseItUp Publishing.

Comments

It IS a great book and I am soooo excited that it will be out this year. Love, love, love the cover!
Anne Whitfield said…
A wonderful review. Many congratulations!!
Jen Black said…
Way to go, Anita!
Maggi Anderson said…
Wonderful review, Anita, congratulations

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.