I experienced the worst message a writer can find when they press the 'On' switch on their laptop - 'This compuer is unable to start'
What! You were fine half an hour ago, what's going on?
A screen came up saying 'Attempting repair-this may take a few minutes' So while a blue line scrolls across a blank screen, I made another coffee and sat there biting my nails while several scenarios went through my head:
1. My backups are a week old, and I have written several thousands words and done some edits since then, including an entire chapter rewrite.
2. This laptop is only 18 months old. I cannot possibly tell the husband I need a new one - I am on my third machine in five years as it is! The fact he bought a new desktop mac and a netbook in the last six months is immaterial - his is 'real' work. Meaning it pays!
3. I have hundreds of research files on this machine - I risked viruses, phishing and trojan horses to get those - I will never find them all again.
4. I don't have another machine, not even an old one - when I kill them, they stay dead! Apart from getting up in the night and sneaking onto husband's machine while he's asleep - I'm screwed. Not that its practical, he wakes up if I turn over too fast!
5. Perhaps I could slip him some extra strength sleeping pills and -
What's that? 'Repair complete?' Great, panic over - now where's my backup pen drive, I'm not risking this happening again!