Quotes From The Carolean Court

King Charles I: Never make a defense or an apology until you are accused


Queen Henrietta Maria: Did you know that last night at dinner I was obliged to eat all five courses from the same plate? I've never heard of anything so disgusting.

Nell Gwynn: [after being mistaken for Charles' Catholic mistress Louise de Kéroualle] Pray good people, be civil. You are mistaken; I am the Protestant whore.

King Charles II: [on his deathbed] Be kind to Portsmouth [Louise de Kéroualle] and let not poor Nelly starve.

John Wilmot, Earl Rochester:
Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories.

King Charles II: As you intend on poetry, Rochester, why not provide it yourself?
John Wilmot, Earl Rochester:
A short epigram in your honour then, Your Majesty. "We have a pretty, witty King, Whose word no man relies on. Who never said a foolish thing, Nor ever did a wise one"
King Charles II:
Be just, Rochester. The wise words are my own, the deeds are my ministers'.


George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham: Men's fame is like their hair, which grows after they are dead, and with just as little use to them.


John Evelyn: Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.

Comments

Oh goodness, these are hilarious. However did you find them.

Love your sense of humor.

Thanks for the belly laugh.
They are brilliant! Well done on finding those!
Those are great! I've heard the one Nell Gwyn and Charles II before, but the rest are new to me. I really love the first one, by Charles I...too funny! And the last one is sweet.

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.