Monday, 11 January 2010

Creativity Gap or New Year Blues

To quote my fellow Hoyden, Sandra Gulland, 'It's amazing how quickly writing gears rust.'

This has happened before, of course it has, but not for more than a few days. Firstly, I blamed the stressful run up to Christmas, then the holiday itself with the family distracting me, then the New Year deflation and everyone is depressed when all the tinsel and angels have been consigned to their boxes again.

January is always a cold and depressing month, and this one is arctic, with minus 12 degree temperatures at night and relentless snow since mid-December which freezes and re-freezes the roads so venturing out for a pint of milk is fraught with bone-breaking dangers.

I have caught up on critiques for both my groups and even written three book reviews for the HNR Blog. I am also about to compose my next Hoydens Blog - but I have only written 2,000 words of my wip in the last two weeks - and I have no idea why. I have a beautifully constructed spreadsheet with accompanying historical notes, with every scene and timeline all plotted out, the dates they occur and the characters involved.

I know exactly what happens to whom, when and what my protagonist's attitude to each event is - so why do I sit here staring into my coffee, totally unable to write the darned chapters?

Perhaps the snow-filled sky is muffling my creativity and I need thawing out like the English countryside. Whatever it is, I wish it would stop. I have to get this book written.

5 comments:

KarenG said...

Oh goodness, I could have written this post. Finally one night last week, I stayed up til 3 a.m. working on my wip (I'm usually an early bird asleep by 10). It felt SO good, but that was a week ago, and I've only done snippets since then.

Jen Black said...

I share your concern. I think everyone gets the blues after Christmas, and I don't know about you but I can't write when my spirits are down or I'm tired. What worked for me was a good, bracing walk in the sunshine and snow - came back in glowing, and dashed off a chapter. Whatever perks you up, do it - and you'll be back on course again.
Jen

Mirella Sichirollo Patzer said...

The exact same thing is happening to me. I've only written 2000 words all this month so far. I thought my problem was that I don't have each scene plotted out - only what is basically occuring that chapter. So you're still way ahead of me. I think I may have to sit down and plot... Hang in thre, it will come. We've had too many distractions.

Carolin said...

Right with you all. I'm beat and tired from my first couple of days at school, teaching evaluations with my bosses, and so, instead of doing anything productive, I'm sitting here right now with a glass of wine watching college basketball.... I know what I want to do in my next chapter and can't get it going.... Weather? Work? The sniffles? Arrrghhh!!!

Lisa Yarde said...

At least you all have managed to write something. I'm stuck on both my WIPs, because I don't feel I'm moving at the right pace.

Review of The Murderess by Jennifer Wells

PUBLISHER’S BLURB The Murderess is a heart-stopping story of family, love, passion and betrayal set against the backdrop of war-r...