Sailing Away......

I'm feeling somewhat nervous today, and the writing is taking a back seat, due to the fact my daughter has arrived in Mindelo, in the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of Africa to take part in an 'Atlantic Challenge'.

Joining a crew of fifteen on a 65ft yacht, they will sail to Barbados in the South Atlantic. The journey should take two weeks, barring storms, sharks, 45ft waves and pirates, after which she'll spend a week in the Bahamas before flying back to the UK.

An adrenalin-fuelled working holiday in fact, though from what it has cost her, she could have booked a first class cabin on the Queen Mary II and been served margeritas by hot hunks in uniform all the way!

Instead, she chose to sleep in a cramped crew quarters, or on deck if it's hot and do a four-hour-on, four-hours-off watch! Splicing the mainbrace and running up the mainsail isn't my idea of a holiday. But as they say, 'There's 'Nowt so Queer as Folk'

Comments

Glynis said…
I wish her good luck and mum at least one night of rest!
I think I would have gone for the cruise and hunks. What an adventure though, I hope she has fun.
Jen Black said…
What an adventurous spirit your children have Anita! I do so admire them. Sailing from Africa to the CAribbean - wonderful! She cn relaz with the rum punches on Barbadoes when it's all over. Perhaps you should knock back one or two now...
Jen
India Drummond said…
This sounds like a wonderful adventure for her. I had a friend at university who did something like this, and she's always said it was one of the best experiences of her life.

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.