Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Review of An Accomplished Woman by Jude Morgan

The story opens in an art exhibition with a Regency Miss lamenting on the cavalier treatment of her brother by the woman he loved who had cast him aside. Lydia Templeton listens sympathetically and although I guessed she was the woman in question, I was still thoroughly entertained by the interchange and Lydia's bewilderment with a man whose favour she had attracted by no more effort than by, 'Suppressing my yawns in his presence'.

Lydia is an intelligent woman in her twenties, who once scandalized society by refusing the hand of wealthy and eligible Lewis Durrant. Having given up on Lydia as marriage material, she is selected by her Godmother to chaperone a young orphan to Bath. Pheobe Rae is a beautiful heiress who has two suitors. The sojourn at the fashionable spas is to enable her to make a decision about which, if either, of these young man she intends to accept.

Lydia tries her best to be impartial, and when Mr Durrant arrives in Bath purporting to be in search of a bride and latches onto the party to watch the fun, things become complicated. Miss Templeton is more engaging than she knows, because she manages to evoke strong emotions in men without even trying.

It wasn't difficult to work out what would happen, but to say the story was predictable would be an insult, nor was my enjoyment spoiled by this foreknowledge. The gentle, Regency language with its humour and visual richness, not to mention its irony, was a treat. Even 'must hate' characters were a delight and at the words, 'It's Mrs Vawser', I hunkered down to enjoy the outrageously entertaining dialogue.

A fabulous, gentle read to be enjoyed on a lounger in the sunshine with a cool drink beside you. Bliss!! I had the good fortune to meet the author too and my copy is signed. A definite keeper.

4 comments:

Susan Higginbotham said...

I loved Jude Morgan's The King's Touch. Don't know why I haven't got around to some of his others yet. Thanks for the review!

Jen Black said...

I loved Indiscretion, but did not care for Obsession. I would love to hit the same kind of tone as Indiscretion, and I must seek out TAW! A signed copy, no less. What's he like?
Jen

Anita Davison said...

Thanks Jen
Tim is a quiet spoken forty three year old, who what he does and can talk for hours, not in an 'I'm wonderful aren't I?' way,but with real passion for his subject. Like most writers, it would astonish him if anyone said they weren't as fascinated by Berlioz, or James Scott as he is.

I really liked him and boy can he write Regency. An Accomplished Woman is a lovely book, the story as I said is a bit predictable, but his coin of phrase and his wonderful characters are worth reading it for.

Anne Whitfield - author said...

I really like the cover of this book.

Review of The Murderess by Jennifer Wells

PUBLISHER’S BLURB The Murderess is a heart-stopping story of family, love, passion and betrayal set against the backdrop of war-r...