Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Is Inde Publishing A Bad Place To Be?-A Plug For Ginger's Group

I am sure many writers will agree with me that having an online group where you can go and rant, moan, whinge and generally feel sorry for yourself is essential. I can guarantee that if I send in a whiney little moan feeling sorry for myself and my struggles against the tide, ten replies will come back saying they know exactly how I feel and they went through the same thing, yesterday, last year etc.

It really helps to know I’m not being paranoid and that my name doesn’t come up next to a flashing red light on any agent’s desk. Or does it? Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you!

This week, the fascinating, interesting women authors and readers who make up Ginger Simpson’s Group
has been lamenting on how hard it is to make any kind of living writing books for inde publishers which are distributed online as e-books or POD paperbacks. This is where many writers start, and where lots of us remain for our entire career. It seems we all have that wish to jump from the inde side to the mainstream publishers.

Then again, and it came out in some of the responses to the threads – is that really what we want? For those who want/need to make a respectable living at writing, of course their best route is to be taken on by a mainstream publisher who will spend money promoting their work, making sure their name is recognised and giving them a public profile.

Cheryl Wright
also had some interesting things to say about how to make money writing non-fiction books. She even has some information on her website as to how to go about it!

Some of us, however, quite like having a friendly, pleasant to work with e-publisher who, when you send them a novel you chose to write say, ‘Sure, we’ll publish that'. Whether you create a trailer, a blog, jump on the blog review bandwagon and do featured author days is largely up to you, although most writers do this if they want to get their book read.

And the point of this blog post? Very much what the group is for really, to throw my dolly out of the pram and yell, ‘It ain’t fair!’ then go back to doing what I have to do because it’s just me – write, and try and get someone to like what I write.

6 comments:

Chris Redding said...

Anita,
Thanks for recognizing us. I don't know what I'd do without ginger's group.
cmr

Carol said...

I guess that's it. I don't think I'll make a living from writing and don't really expect to. The Indie pubs are nicer to work with and seem to like my work enough to publish it. So, do I really need the hassle of a NY group? Would I really make money out of it? Not with piddling advances and royalties. But, I know I'll keep writing anyway because it's what I do. And Groups like Ginger's make you feel less alone.
http://carol-carolsinkspot.blogspot.com.

Ginger Simpson said...

My group is only as great at the members who join, and I've been fortunate to have a talented, supportive and understanding lot seek membership. I agree...I couldn't get through some of the times life hands me without these wonderful friends. :)

ginger

Maryann Miller said...

Nice post, Anita. So glad to have Ginger's group to share the ups and downs of this wacky business.

Lisabet Sarai said...

I came out of the print world and into ebooks. I had five books published by a New York publisher (admittedly not one of the big names). The publisher never did ANYTHING to promote my work. Then they got bought by a company that was not interested in publishing erotica, and my titles all went out of print!

Getting picked up by a big publisher is no recipe for success. It may actually be more headaches. In the e-publishing world, the turn-around is just so much quicker. I've had ten pubs in the last twelve months. In the print world, I wouldn't have even seen the first one come out!

Best,
Lisabet

M. L. Kiner said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

BLOG TOUR

..for A Knightsbridge Scandal all this week The Writing Garnet Chick Lit Club Connect I Heart Reading Bookish Jottings ...