Friday, 2 January 2009

Kick Start to January

On 7th of this month, I will post a review of Jean Fullerton's debut novel, 'No Cure For Love', set in the East End of London in 1838.

Released by Orion this month, Jean won the Harry Bowling prize in 2006, for an unpublished novel written about London. This book has also been long-listed for the Romantic Novel of the Year 09 prize. An amazing achievement for a first novel, so my congratulations to Jean.

Do drop by The Historical Novel Review Blog to read the review and on the 11th January, there is an interview with her heroine, Ellen O'Casey.

It's a heartwarming story of a young widow in a time when women were frowned on for even trying to survive without a man, and as a result were morally suspect too. Ellen is an engaging heroine and I dare you not to sympathise with her struggles.
Jean's Website is here.

And My New Year?

My critique group have asked us to supply a list of goals for 2009, and I couldn'tbe the
only one who didn't make an effort!

-I finished, ‘The Maze’, my Victorian Romance and have queried it – watch this space.

-I also attended the NHS Conference last April, which was a great experience. I wish I could attend this year’s in Chicago, but that’s unlikely.

-I still don’t have an agent, but spent so much time trying to compose witty, attention grabbing queries and getting even less response than from publishers, I decided to give that a rest for a while and concentrate on writing good historical novels.

-I began another novel and am well on the way with a first draft, so would like to finish it this year. I would also like to finish my third 17th Century novel by the end of 2009 too.

And that’s about all I will commit to as they will, apparently, be brought out at the end of the year to beat me over the head! Not mind-shattering, but plenty for me to be going on with.

And a Happy New Year to You All

No comments:

BLOG TOUR

..for A Knightsbridge Scandal all this week The Writing Garnet Chick Lit Club Connect I Heart Reading Bookish Jottings ...