Birthdays, Who Needs Them?


DH left for London at 5.30 am and returned after midnight, so he handed me his card as he was about to leave. I opened the envelope in the half-dark of a September dawn, sleepy-eyed and yawning, to be greeted with an excruciatingly loud electronic fanfare. A musical birthday card! - I hadn't intended getting up, but I was by then!
If I have to have a birthday, I may as well choose my own present so I get something I really want, so I canvassed the family and asked for a Sony E-Book Reader.
As Ginger S said in a recent group post, we need to read more small press novels and promote the authors and their work.
There was a certain amount of resistance to this request, most of it in the form of, 'Do you really think we're going to get something that means you spend even more time staring at a screen?'
But they caved eventually! I'm not a pretty sight when I throw in the ,'I-don't-ask-for-much-do-I?'card.
I'm not really a gadget person, the newest mobile phones leave me cold - But I've looked forward to this one coming on the market since it was advertised a year ago. Typical of Sony, they launched the product and underestimated the demand, so the darned things aren't easy to get hold of.
I don't like the look of the Kindle, not all publishers make their electronic books compatible, and the Iliad is very expensive, so I'll give this one a try, when it finally arrives - and treat myself to the case with the built in light so I can read without disturbing anyone.

Comments

Ginger Simpson said…
I keep the "I don't ask for much card" in my pocket. You never know when it'll come in handy. :)

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, and since you'll be the proud owner of an ebook reader, let's spread the word to start mentioning some of our favorite e-pubbed people over mainstream authors who don't really need our help. I'm always amazed when the question is asked on a loop, "who is your favorite author," and wonder why we don't promote one another.

Hugz,
Ginger
Lisa Yarde said…
Well, as they say, it's the thought that counts. Your DH knew you would love that card and, confess it, you really did. Hope it was a wonderful birthday, made all the better by that ebook reader.

Hugs, Lisa

Popular posts from this blog

King Edward VII's Coronation

Fire by C C Humphreys

Blog Tour-Nadine Dorries

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

As an Amazon.com affiliate, I receive a tiny dividend from books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs on which reviews are posted.