Friday, 25 May 2012

Goodbye, Brimstone Butterfly

Most of my author friends have favourite blogs they dip in and out of to find tidbits of historical information we have not found anywhere else - -most of which we confirm in other sources, but many a fascinating piece of trivia can be found in a blog.

One I followed and visited often, is called The Brimstone Butterfly, written by a lady called Caro Riikonen. Coincidentally, she told a story on BBC radio I listened to in the car once printed here, and I feel this epitomises the type of person she was. It's a sad, but uplifting story of when she was caught in a house fire.

The subject of my current wip lived in one of the places Caro posted about, and she also visited and photographed many of the historic places of interest in my neighbourhood of Richmond, Kew and Twickenham which I love.

I clicked on the blog today to find some pictures of a particular historic house I knew she had visited, only to discover Caroline's farewell to those who read and appreciated her writing - on 10th February, 2012, Caro took her own life. She was 53.

We never met, but not only will I miss her blog, I will miss her too.
Goodby Caro, and though you may not have known it, you were appreciated.


Brimstone Butterfly - a medium-large butterfly of England, Wales and Ireland with leaf-shaped wings. Always rest with wings closed. Females have pale yellow-green wings, looking almost white in flight.

9 comments:

Christy McKee said...

What a lovely thought and tribute.

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh that's just so sad. I'm sorry for you.

Roseanne Dowell said...

How very sad.

Ginger Simpson said...

Oh my gosh. How very sad. We do tend to assume there will always be tomorrow. I' still trying to wrap my head around the loss of Sharon Donovan. I guess we should let folks know how much we value them while we can. Thanks for the reminder.

Morgan Mandel said...

Terrible she didn't feel appreciated.

Maryann Miller said...

That is so sad. Sorry for your loss. We do feel close to people we meet online, and it is hard to lose them.

Petrea Burchard said...

While researching Hampton Court I came across Caro's blog and never left. Into each post she injected care and thought, not to mention deep research and her own delightful wit. It was a pleasure to read her writing and to correspond with her.

I still think of her every day and I will always be sorry that she decided to go. But I'm grateful she left her blog for us.

Carol Harvey said...

Depression is such a debilitating illness. I never knew of this lady until I read your post but, because of it, I am saddened by her death. We all need to remember to tell people how very much they mean to us, there's no telling how long we'll have them in our lives.

Anne said...

I stumbled on to her site just a hour ago and was delighted with it, looking forward to following it etc...only to find she had passed on.

I googled her name and found your post, which told me the story.

I was saddened , but not surprised she ended her own life. Simply because she seemed someone in a good deal of pain. Which gave a great deal to her writing on the posts. There is supremely informed urgency to what she has to say. It's terribly sad

HNS

FTC Guidelines

In accordance with FTC guidelines concerning blogging endorsements, I would like all of my readers to know that any books reviewed on this site I have either purchased, or received from the publisher in return for an honest review and without financial incentive.

I am also an Amazon.com affiliate, and as such receive a tiny dividend of books purchased through the Amazon links displayed on my blog and/or blogs the reviews on which the reviews are posted.